Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Pain




Instead of business, business, and businesses, today i choose to blog on life. Of all articles i read in The Star dated back a few days, there was this tiny article that i initially decided to skip.. Only to know that i was most touched by it..

Can you imagine how it feels like? I tried not to, cause I just can’t help thinking why and how.. And my mind started searching deep for the best solutions to the problems which in fact either do not exist within my capacity or simply couldn’t be produced by me.. Not at least for now.. With the time constraint, the human capital constraint, the massive injuries that require attention to..

Take a few minutes off your busy schedule and reflect upon these few scenarios I came across on local newspaper about the earthquake disaster in china lately..

With fireman’s axe, scissors and kitchen knives.. Because they lacked medical equipments and progress was slow due to the primitive conditions left after the devastating disaster..



Dr Li Yinxian was the heartfelt hero and yet he failed to save the few kids under his holy knives and watched them die suffering under the pain.. They were just kids.. Innocent kids whom he tried so hard to save.. (well he did manage to save one.)

“When I told the boy I was going to cut off his legs he just said, ‘go ahead, please save me, I don’t need them,” Dr Li, who was aiding rescue efforts after China’s devastating earthquake. (The Star May 17 08 W37)

Can you imagine the words coming out from a boy? "I don't need my legs.." Sometimes i wonder why would people choose to live despite the pain.. Perhaps there are things about life that is so simple and beautiful that most people who are aftering material wealth, recognition, fame, power and attention like us failed to see and feel..

“During the surgery, the girl was quietly weeping, saying, ‘Uncle I am thirsty. Uncle, save me’.”

She was in great pain, but held during the surgery, only to die once she has been pulled out safely.. (The Star May 17 08 W37)

Amputating limbs was the last resort according to Dr Li in order to save the kids.. Imagine if you were the doctor put in such situation.. I guess my internal dilemma to save a life and give a fractured one would have indirectly killed the life thanks to my indecisive move.. Every second counts under a condition like that.. And it's not my call to decide if he or she wants life over pain, or long term pain over a chance to live? Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma! And wouldn't you agree that he or she might be too young to decide for himself or herself under such pressing condition? What if he or she cries again after the disaster? Will i suffer the pain he suffers later then? Not that i don't want to, isn't there a better solution? isn't there a best solution?! I don't wish to think further.. Dilemma and trade offs makes people suffer the consequences of decision makings.. perhaps that's why some people are so used to letting others decide for them..

“I was against it at first but the kids couldn’t last any longer. Cutting off a limb to save a life was all we could do.” He said. (The Star May 17 08 W37)

It reminds me of the movies documenting war scenes.. Where you watch your closest buddies got torn apart in the most primitive conditions in scorching pain just trying to save him from being left bleeding to death in the most horrifying conditions (war zone.. where enemies could possibly torture you further before your last breath dies off..)

“She was saying ‘Uncle, uncle save me. All you need to do is push the door away and I will be able to get out on my own’,” Dr Li was quoted as saying in the Beijing News. (The Star May 17 08 W37)

“But she was trapped too deep and there was no way I could get to her. Slowly the voice faded away.” (The Star May 17 08 W37)



All you could do is wish you could have helped.. Perhaps you would have gave all you can to help.. But in life, we simply have to acknowledge the fact that there are things that are not yet within our capabilities to perform.. Some mothers can amazingly exhibit a super power when it comes to protect their babies. Is it really our minds that are restricting us from going beyond possibilities? Afterall we only use 7% of our brain capacity. As i once thought, perhaps we humans can really fly without wings when we use 15% of our brain capacity, just by hypnotizing ourselves that we can. That seeing with the eye of the minds, is believing; and believing, coupled with risk-actions can make us break through our current capacities!

Why? Why for all things humans choose to play with lives.. I too am a culprit.. Sometimes I just sort of lost my mind and got so hooked up with splashing waters to the ants.. Torturing them with mere sense of having fun.. Without knowing how they felt.. Perhaps mother nature, is just like a baby god who’s naive and playing with us too, shaking the earth ball in his hands without knowing how it devastates the tiny lives that way..



Tears were rolling in my eyes when I read the article.. But instead of being emotional over it, I attempted to rationalize the situation. Hopefully I will never lose my empathy and sanity over any obsessions in life.

Life is a journey, a journey that will never be complete until you share the feelings, the ups and downs of every living creature you meet.

My Visions My Ideals

No comments: