Saturday, November 2, 2013

Quest for Identity and Purposeful Life

Credits to Adam Leipzig's simple idea on How to Find Your Life Purpose in 5 Minutes, I now have a start at this quest for my very own life puzzle. In case if you have not heard of his 10 minute TedTalk, there is only 5 steps to his fantastic formula to your life puzzle. I think it is a quest for personal fulfillment and ultimately happiness for those who seem to be unhappy for unknown reasons, often the thinker species unfortunately. Try not to laugh at the apparently simple questions and search deeper to unveil your complicated feelings. It takes a lot of courage to say what you really feel without over thinking on what other people or the society might react to how you feel differently. It might take many more tries before you get a feel of how this exercise might impact the bottom line of your happiness.

1. Who are you?
2. What do you do?

3. Whom do you serve?
4. What do they want and need?
5. What is the result, or the change in them, as a result of what you do to and for them?

Please take note that 60% or 3/5 of these questions revolved around other people while only 40% is about you. This explains why people who give and serve tends to be happier than the ones who take.



Now to my personal quest:
1. Who am I?
I am Christopher Shee. Though I am not a big fan of the Shee clan primarily because I don't feel like I belonged there, I live with it. Christopher is not my preference of first name either. Much to my preference would probably be happy go lucky names like Bobby, Brady, Matty, Marky, Wei, etc. They are adorable names I tend to fall for.

2. What do I do?
That's a big question if you were to ask me what is or was my career, or jobs.. But if I were to follow Leipzig's guide, "what is the one thing right now you feel supremely confident to teach other people?" I probably do not have any considering my short stint of works here and there in completely different industries. But what if I am at the starting path trying to pave this road? I suppose the next 3 answers might greatly assist in this? Come back to this question after the next 3 defining ones to chart my career move.

3. Whom do I serve?
I serve my bosses?? Perhaps the people who contributed to my pay cheques either directly or indirectly?? The customers of my employers?? Even any and every living person whom I have interactions with at work?? Not a good sign after all. Cause I tend to lose my sense of identity further as I continue to please. To a point I quit any initiatives before I know it wasn't the job but my unwillingness to occasionally fuck a few faces  to get things done. What about whom I wish to serve? Would this make better sense after all? Maybe at the end of the day, if your career doesn't take the ideal of what you wish to define your life mission, it really is just a means to sustaining a living, to which serves the people you cared for. If that happens to be the case, I tend to think I enjoy serving the more deserving ones. I like to serve the ones who are less demanding and less assertive. Maybe it is because I hated people who thinks they are always right and impose upon others their rules and values. Even gods do not know everything. And as human beings, we are mirror image of gods whereby each and everyone of us carries a piece of the missing puzzle to make our collective living experience whole. If there is one thing I feel really good doing, it is to empower the less assured ones that they too have and know the necessary to live the life they secretly dream of, as long as it doesn't hurt others. Though it really is hard to define what hurts and to whom others should be limited to, or should it not? Otherwise we are basically making 'living a life you dream of' impossible.

4. What do they need or want?
Surprising enough I think the ultimate thing they wanted is just to be accepted and loved for who they are. No matter how crazy, how different, how inadequate, how unacceptable they are to the community they are born geopolitically or geophysically closed to. Again the big question lies in, what if they were born devils or maniacs in the common modern term? And who is it to define what is acceptable and what is not? To what extend do traditional moral and religious values determine the context of modern day living? I don't think any sane individualistic modern man or woman would believe that we live to serve one God, whoever that god is. If that constitutes sanity, I would perhaps choose my living icon to serve as god rather than a physically nonexistent and commonly shared god. If god does exist, would he or she be that selfish as to ask everyone to serve his mighty beliefs? If that is righteous, I would say it is godly for even the Qing Emperor of Chinese dynasty to conquer and conquest in order to 'unite'. After all these unities are what supposedly better guarantee 'peace' when both history and science have concluded that unity as one, or mechanical similarity or 'robotism' is what minimizes fights and therefore promotes peace. The only problem is, we have lived through generations to learn that discovering your personal identity and what makes you different are what constitutes to your well being. Does the holy bible or Quran predict this to happen? And what is his mighty thoughts and forgiveness to insanity such as that of cannibals, be it the fleshy physical cannibals who perhaps preach Satan or the emotional cannibals who thrive a living at the expense of others in many a way in today's corporate climates.

5. How do they change or transform, as a result of what you do for them?
Is this the big 21st century quest of changing people's lives or changing the world? Let's live with it. When I was a fresh grad, I probably would be naive enough to wish to change the world's view towards certain things. Come to think of it, we are the ones who change to fit into a tiny little community puzzle. To what end? Purposefully to serve our little selfish needs of being fulfilled and happy. As long as you could find a 'family' you genuinely feel belonged, no matter how small or insignificant it is, you are the lucky ones who have completed this life puzzle of yours. Learn to live with the mosaic differences around us and celebrate the weirdest stories that fuse our ever thirsty underdeveloped brains. If you can be satisfied by virtual means, you are the lucky ones. Try not to impose your dreamy needs on others and expect them to come true in reality. Many a time it could be a devastating thing to the real world if everyone wanted something different to materialize. The world could end up disastrous accommodating to everyone's dreams turning into reality. All hail the mighty Internet god. Where all things virtual stays virtually real, in the hope it satisfies our crazily thirsty brains. Well back to the question of how my actions changed them? I have not done anything commercially quantifiable to mean anything to the people I cared. But I'm proud to say, for those I really cared for and tried to please, I did make them happy. And I do hope I can entertain them feeling very much welcomed and appreciated in this life.

With love,
Christopher Shee

3 comments:

Egypt said...

thanks

Bebek Hediyeleri said...

thanks

Turenne said...

Interesting formula!
However simple those 5 questions may seem, to me, they obviously can't be answered in 5 minutes.

Thanks for your humility and transparence in sharing your personal quest for Identity and Purpose in Life. That kind of introspection always bring out more questions.

But that's OK as long as we are genuine about recognizing them. Consciousness is really the first step in finding our Life Purpose.

I might take the time to share my own answers.